Applying to Lab
Charlotte Lab School admits students through an open lottery system.
2020-2021 General Lottery - Now Open!
Si usted necesita asistencia en español por favor llama 704-464-3830 para hablar con Denise Serrano.
- Our General lottery will be held at 10:00am Tuesday, February 25, 2020
320 E. 9th Street
Charlotte NC 28202
All are welcome to attend the lottery. Please check in at UNCC - Center City front desk for a visitor pass.
- All applicants will receive an email notification of their status (seat offer or waitlisted) no later than Friday, February 28, 2020.
- Click here to start the application process.
- For a Step-by-Step Guide to the application process click here.
- To check your application status click here for the Parent Login Portal.
- Socioeconomic Diversity (SED) Preference Applicants
Families who qualify for, and wish to be considered in, our Socioeconomic Diversity preference lottery must complete an additional application form. A link to the SED Preference application form is included in your General lottery application confirmation email. To apply, follow these steps:
- Apply through the General lottery
- Receive confirmation email - find the SED Preference application link in the email
- Click on the emailed SED preference application link and submit.
- Contact email@example.com for more assistance.
General Lottery Information for 2020-2021 School Year
- Children who turn 5 years old on or before August 31, 2020 who live in NC are eligible to apply to 2020-2021 lottery.
- Our application period for the 2020-2021 General Lottery will open Wednesday, December 18, 2019 at 10:00am, and close Thursday, February 20, 2020 at 4:00pm.
- Online applications will be available at Charlotte Lab School website under Applying to Lab.
- Our Socioeconomic Diversity (SED) preference lottery will be held on February 21, 2020. Any student not placed in the SED lottery will be transferred to the General lottery.
- Our General lottery will be held on Tuesday, February 25, 2020.
- All applications received after the application period has ended will be added to the bottom of the waitlist in the order they were received.
- Waitlists do not carry over from one year to the next. Each year, we start fresh with new applications and new lotteries. Parents need to (re)apply each year they wish to be considered in the lottery.
- Only one (1) application per student per year is allowed. Multiple application submissions may result in exclusion from the lottery process.
- For more information please contact Caele Gambs, Director of Admissions: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 704-464-3830.
Sibling, Employee and Board Member (SEBM) Priority Lottery - *** NOW CLOSED ***
- Charlotte Lab School offers a priority in our lottery process to siblings of current Lab students, and to children of full-time employees, and to children of past and present Board Members.
- The application period for the Sibling, Employee and Board Member preference will open Wednesday, November 13, 2019 and close Tuesday, December 17, 2019.
- We will hold our Sibling, Employee and Board Member Preference lottery on Thursday, January 9, 2020.
Socioeconomic Diversity (SED) Priority Lottery
- Charlotte Lab School is committed to being an economically diverse community and will allot a percentage of the total number of seats available at Lab for students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds who qualify for the National School Lunch Program based on their families’ current income levels - link to guidelines
- Families interested in receiving this preference will indicate their desire on the general application
- Our SED lottery will take place on Friday, February 21, 2020. Any students not placed in this lottery will be transferred to the General lottery
- For more information please see our Admissions and Enrollment Policies
Open House Information
- Please click here for link to 2019-2020 Open House Schedule
- PLEASE NOTE: We are unable to accommodate any requests for tours outside of our scheduled Open House events. Each spring, we will host tours during the school day for families admitted through the school lottery.
2019-2020 General Lottery Information
The 2019-20 General Lottery, including socioeconomic diversity preference lottery, took place on February 27, 2019 @ 10:00 am at UNCC Center City, 320 E. 9th Street Room 501. The Sibling, Employee, and Board Member Preference Lottery was held February 4 at 12:00 noon at Charlotte Lab Lower School.
Online applications for the 2019-2020 school year lottery were accepted starting Wednesday, January 9, 2019 at 10:00am through Wednesday, February 20. We currently have more than 1,000 applicants on our waitlist for the 2019-2020 school year. We are no longer accepting applications for the 2019-2020 school year.
2018-2019 General Lottery Information
The 2018-19 General Lottery, including socioeconomic diversity preference, took place on Wednesday March 21, 2018 at 5:00 pm at Charlotte Lab School (301 East 9th Street, Charlotte, NC 28202). The Sibling Lottery took place on February 15, 2018 at 4:00 pm.
Online applications for the 2018-19 school year lottery were accepted starting Monday, January 8, 2018 at 10:00 am through Friday, March 9.